Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 20:21:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      Sean Eric Fagan <sef@kithrup.com>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.0 a severe disappointment

>I am very happy to have notebook support integrated with the main BSD
>tree.  As much as I love the PAO crew for everything they have done, it was
>very schizoid to say the least to try to follow their patches and the main
>tree.  Maybe I am just not getting any younger.

Well, I thought I'd point out the _positive_ points of the install (there were
some :)).

First, yes, having it find my PCMCIA ethernet card with no extra work, and
then figure out a DHCP address, was _very_ nice.

When I rebooted, it also managed to do the same, which also made me very
happy.  Especially when I got home, and it picked up DHCP information from the
LAN there.  (I still vividly remember the pain I had getting DHCP working in
the first place, under 2.2.8.)

The bad points I've noticed so far are:

First, it doesn't notice when I remove the pcmcia card.  Something is broken
here.

Second, it takes longer to boot these days.  When combined with the above, it
makes it difficult to test changes to pccard.conf.

The main problem I was having, I still assume is due to 4.0, but I'm going to
try something else, now that I am home.  It's _possible_ that it was one of
the ethernet switches at work, or someone futzing with the wires with me not
being aware of it, or the 3.4 system with the fxp0 card that I was trying to
copy stuff from.  We'll see -- any information I find out will be quickly
passed along :).

And, now that I have fvwm and my dot files copied over, the laptop looks
mostly the same as it did before, which, of course, was my goal :).