Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 12:37:25 +0100
From:      Philipp Mergenthaler <un1i@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de>
To:        whitehat@home.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: floppy install

In article <85jkng$1tjg$1@atlantis.rz.tu-clausthal.de> you wrote:55
> Hi, I am currently trying to re-install FreeBSD 3.3 on my 486, and I am
> getting an interesting error on the last two disks of my installation
> floppies.  The error says "Write failure on transfer! (wrote -1 bytes of
> 1024 bytes)" I have tried replacing the last two disks numerous times to
> no avail; so I know that the disks are not damaged.  Is it that the
> files themselves are corrupt?
[...]

It's possible, but not very probable.

I don't know if this will help, but here are some ideas:
- if the error occurs soon after going to one floppy, maybe it was
  the last file on the previous floppy that was defective.

- All the files (e.g. bin.aa, bin.ab, ...) are supposed to have a size
  of 240640 bytes (except the last one of each distribution and the
  .inf files). (In case you downloaded the files with a web browser,
  especially check the files with the extensions .ai and .cc .)

- At the beginning of the installation, you could go to the "Options"
  screen and enable "Debugging". Later, when the error occurs, hit
  ALT+F2 to see the debugging messages. (Probably this won't help
  much, though).

- Is it possible that the disk or partition is full? You could hit
  ALT-F4 to go to the emergency shell and enter "/bin/df<RETURN>" to
  see if there's no space left. (df should be available by the time
  you reach the last few floppies.)

> Also, is their any way to compress a
> hard drive in DOS previous to a FreeBSD installation?
[...]

I'm afraid I only know that such tools exist, not how you'd do this.

Bye, Philipp

--
http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~un1i/