Date:      Sun, 21 Aug 2005 05:39:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Danial Thom <danial_thom@yahoo.com>
To:        Victor Semionov <victor@vmpbg.com>, Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: polling decreases throughput ~50%

--- Victor Semionov <victor@vmpbg.com> wrote:

> decrease CPU usage by avoiding too
> generated frequently, but it
> there are no other jobs running.
> >
> > You have to poll often enough to keep the
> pipe full, otherwise your max
> > throughput can be limited.  Also, rl hardware
> isn't the greatest and
> > probably requires a lot more CPU than a
> device with working buffer/DMA
> > design.
>
> HZ is 1000, which I guess should be more than
> enough with
> kern.polling.burst_max=150.
>
> Indeed, it was hardware's fault - my other NIC
> is a fxp and I got much better
> results with it - less CPU, while throughput
> stayed the same as without
> polling.

Great. So you've added 900 totally unnecessary
context switches, plus all of the rubbish that
gets done every clock tick, even when there is no
traffic. Brilliant.

Modern hardware doesn't interrupt every packet;
in fact with intel em controllers its easily
tunable, so you get the advantages of polling
without the disadvantages of having a system
designed by an idiot. Polling will cause you to
lose tons of packets under bursts of heavy load.
Although it is downright comical that you're
concerned about cpu cycles but you were using the
slowest, least efficient ethernet controller ever
conceived.

The fxp driver has a built-in hold off of 6000
ints/sec (which is 1/6000th of a second for you
mathletes). There is no reason to use polling
with intel hardware; in fact its a big negative.

Danial