Date:      Wed, 2 Nov 2005 11:43:49 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Marco Molteni <molter@tin.it>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: troubles with ng_fec on -current

Marco Molteni wrote this message on Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 19:36 +0100:
> I have the following setup:
>
> box1     box2     box3      box4
> xl0      xl0      xl0       ste0/ste1/ste2/ste3 -> fec0
> 1.1.1.1  1.1.1.2  1.1.1.3   1.1.1.4
>  |       |        |         | | | |
>  |       |        |         | | | |
> ======================================== cisco catalyst switch
>

> Hosts box1,2,3,4 are running stock fbsd -current.
>
> box4 has a 4-port ethernet card (forgot brand, think d-link)
> recognized by the ste driver, without IP addresses. I then configure
> bonding on the ste0..3 interfaces with ng_fec, which gives me a fec0
> interface. I then configure fec0 with set_mode_mac and with IP address
> 1.1.1.4.
>
> The switch is configured to perform etherchannel on the 4 ports
> connected to the ste0..4 interfaces. Load "balancing" is done
> on a per source MAC address.
>
> Problem is when I ping box4 from the other boxes. I get a reply only
> for ping from box1. I then ran tcpdump on the 4 ste interfaces.
> Things become to get interesting.
>
> If tcpdump is ran in non-promiscuos mode (-p option), only ping
> (and ARP) from box1 goes thru, as if I wasn't running tcpdump at all.
> If on the other hand tcpdump is ran in promiscuos mode, then all the
> pings go thru as expected.
>
> Am I doing something wrong in configuring the fec0 interface or is this
> a known problem? I think I don't need to add any IP address on the
> ste interfaces themselves.

The only thing is that it could be that you aren't setting the ethernet
hardware address on the four cards all to the same address...  The
reason box1 gets through is that it is aliased to the arp address that
maps to one of the cards.. the reason the other boxes don't go through
is that the card isn't seeing the correct mac address to pass it's
filter...

do something like:
for i in 1 2 3; do ifconfig ste$i `ifconfig ste0 | grep ether`; done

and see if that fixes your issue...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579