Date:      Sat, 3 Apr 2004 22:27:49 -0800
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        portmgr@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with USE_AUTOMAKE_VER variable

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 19:36:02 -0800
Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> wrote:

> The USE_AUTOCONF_VER and related knobs appear to not yet be functional
> (in all cases?).  Revert the changes made in r1.33 of the makefile and
> stick to the WANT_ version for now.

I'm pretty sure I'd reverted all the WANT->USE changes, which were the
cause of the problems (as opposed to the USE->USE_*_VER).

I'm currently stuck in a holding pattern, first awaiting the effective
null-commit of bsd.autotools.mk, followed by a second major update to
bsd.autotools.mk itself.  The PR has been assigned to portmgr for quite
some time, yet little appears to be happening on this front.

Given the power of (at least) the i386 cluster to do a 4-exp build, why
is it taking so long to get this in?  If we (collectively) are to clean
up the huge mess that is the current autotools layout, then we
(collectively) need to be more proactive in getting the changes actually
tested.

If the resources are not available, for whatever reason, to do this,
and, with any heavy-duty infrastructural change, there are bound to be
foul-ups, then further development of the system is going to prove to be
increasingly difficult, to the point at which those that (a) have the
knowledge and (probably more importantly) (b) are willing to take the
heat for changes, then we're dead in the water.

Now, we can either sit here and bandy around chastisements, or we can
get things done.  Which is it to be?

[cc'd both portmgr and core, since I believe there are more fundamental
issues that need to be addressed here than just the matter at hand]

-aDe