Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 2019 20:49:08 +0000
From:      Grzegorz Junka <list1@gjunka.com>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Failed to load '/boot/loader.efi'

On 04/03/2019 06:27, Rebecca Cran via freebsd-arch wrote:
> On 3/3/19 7:26 AM, Grzegorz Junka wrote:
>

>> Can I somehow install the /boot/boot1.efifat manually to try to make
>> it working? I am installing FreeBSD 12 by partitioning disk manually
>> so bsdsysinstall doesn't run, and it seems there were some changes
>> around the EFI partition recently, e.g. support for
>> /efi/freebsd/loader.efi.
>

> Can you try copying /boot/loader.efi into /mnt/efi/freebsd/loader.efi
> (after mounting the ESP on /mnt with e.g. `mount_msdosfs /dev/ada0p1
> /mnt`) and run the following command to set up the UEFI boot entry:
>

> efibootmgr -c -a -L FreeBSD -l /mnt/efi/freebsd/loader.efi
>
> Then, reboot and bring up the BIOS boot selection menu (often F8, or
> sometimes F11) and select the FreeBSD entry.

Hi Rebecca,

Thank you for your quick response. With your entry the booting behaves
exactly the same as with the previous entry. But I solved the problem
thanks to a response from Emrion on the forum. The issue was that the
bootfs wasn't setup (I used bsdsysinstall to install FreeBSD but had to
partition by hand due to other partitions being present on the disk -
and so the script skipped any bootstrapping setup). So after

zpool set bootfs=tank7/ROOT/default tank7

the system now boots correctly (with either UEFI boot entry).