Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 2002 20:06:01 +0200
From:      Paulius Bulotas <paulius@kaktusas.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: processing ipfw's /var/log/security file

Hi Terry,

On 02 10 29, Terry Todd wrote:
> I'm using ipfw and am looking for something to process
> /var/log/security(.*.gz) with.

/var/log/security is not for ipfw only, it's for messages with priority
security. you can filter ipfw output with syslog configuration:
!ipfw
*.*                                             /var/log/ipfw/ipfw.log
in /etc/syslog.conf

or using syslogd patch which was not so long ago posted to some mailing
list:
!-ipfw
*.*                                             /var/log/messages
!ipfw
*.*                                             /var/log/ipfw/ipfw.log

^ that's all syslogd configuration ;)

And to answer your question, I don't know anything to process ipfw's
logs (and maybe put them into mysql), but someday I will write something
;) [maybe ;]

> Even a program that would convert the "last message repeated * times"
> line to lines that could be counted in a piped command stream
> would be useful.

man syslogd:
-c      Disable the compression of repeated instances of the same line
        into a single line of the form ``last message repeated N
		times'' when the output is a pipe to another program.
		If specified twice, disable this compression in all cases.

Paulius