Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 2003 08:15:23 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Mike Durian <durian@boogie.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hard lock-up writing to tape

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Mike Durian wrote:

> On Tuesday 18 November 2003 08:29 pm, Bruce Evans wrote:
> > - -current has the kern.console sysctl for enabling multiple consoles
> >   (buut only 1 sio one).  You can boot with a syscons console and then
> >   enable the serial, and the latter should work if it is on a working
> >   port to begin with.  Anyway, this sysctl shows which sio port can be
> >   a console, if any.
>
> Is there any documentation on this sysctl?  I'm not sure what I
> should set it to.  After a normal boot, it reads:

Only in the source code.

> kern.console: consolectl,/ttyd1,consolectl,

Not even the bug that syscons's consolectl device is printed here is
documented (the actual syscons console is on /dev/ttyv0, but this
bogusly shares a tty struct with /dev/consolectl and many things
cannot tell the difference.  This bug also messes up the columns in
pstat -t, since consolectl is too wide to fit).

Anyway, the stuff to the left of the slash in the above is the list
of active consoles and the stuff to the right of the slash is the
list of possible consoles.  You have to move stuff from one list to
the other.  I vaguely remember that this is done using '-' to delete
things from the left hand list and something more direct to add them.

Bruce