Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 2002 00:16:52 -0400
From:      Anthony Schneider <aschneid@mail.slc.edu>
To:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.freebsd.org>, Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>, Oscar Bonilla <obonilla@galileo.edu>, Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1019955884.8b118e@mired.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Security through obscurity? (was: ssh + compiled-in SKEY support considered harmful?)

--IS0zKkzwUGydFO0o

> be able to use it too.  I'd suggest that we do the following:
>=20
> 1.  Give the user the choice of these additional features at
>     installation time.  Recommend the procedures, but explain that you
>     need to understand the differences.
>=20
> 2.  Document these things very well.  Both this ssh change and the X
>     without TCP change are confusing.  If three core team members were
>     surprised, it's going to surprise the end user a whole lot more.
>     We should at least have had a HEADS UP, and we probably need a
>     security policy document with the distributions.
>=20

I disagree somewhat with #1.  A "secure by default" policy is by far more
favorable than a "not so secure by default, but we'll try to let you know
how to make it more secure easily" policy.  Consider a move to make telnetd
commented out in inetd.conf a default.  Many newcomers will of course be
baffled, but it is in the long run a better policy, and people will get=20
used to it. =20

This example is somewhat of an *extremely* simplified analogy to adding
s/key authentication as a default before password authentication, but it=20
still holds in that a default installation had better be more secure than=
=20
not.  If FreeBSD were to have installation dialogues with the user=20
suggesting that the user install certain components for security purposes,=
=20
the user will likely opt for the default "button," which I assume in this=
=20
case would default to have the less secure, more conventional option. =20

I think that #2 alone is the way to go.  Make it "clear" (not that that=20
is necessarily an easy task) that the default install of a certain=20
software package no longer follows what has historically been the default,=
=20
or at least do so in the case where the software will become unusable to=20
the unknowing user.

Perhaps a "SEVERE DIFFERENCES" section of www.freebsd.org is in order? 8D

-Anthony.

> Greg
> --
> See complete headers for address and phone numbers
>=20
PGP key at:
    http://www.keyserver.net/
    http://www.anthonydotcom.com/gpgkey/key.txt