Date:      Fri, 18 Dec 1998 18:40:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      spork <spork@super-g.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network adapters: Technical issues

Seriously now, these old machines can turn into money holes real quick...
I fixed a friend's $25 garage sale special, but every time I went to try
and 'upgrade' something, the price was just ridiculous.  I think you'll
find that the cost of oddball parts is rising.  For example, try finding
an ISA video card with 1M or more of ram for less than $60...  Meanwhile
you can get a PCI card for $30 and an AGP for $40.

You'll run into the same trap sooner or later with your quest for 100Mb
ISA cards.  We can still get an Asus P55TP4 mobo w/4 PCI slots for about
$60 and a Pentium 133 for about the same.  It's AT form factor, takes an
AT keyboard, AT power supply, and still has ISA slots.  You might find
yourself paying nearly the same price for your ISA card when you find it.
Factor in the time you spend on this as well...

Good luck,

Charles

---
Charles Sprickman