Date:      Sun, 9 Apr 2006 07:24:22 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Pete French <petefrench@ticketswitch.com>
Subject:   Re: Pros and Cons of amd64 (versus i386).

On Sat, 2006-Apr-08 20:41:36 +0400, Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:
>On Fri, 7 Apr 2006, Peter Jeremy wrote:
>PJ> Backup your amd64 environment and install i386.  You can re-install
>PJ> the amd64 once the testing is finished.  The best benchmark is always
>PJ> your own application.
>
>Or, even better, use spare disk or at least spare slice.  Having fresh good
>backup never hurts though ;-)

Note that using different slices may change your results.  All modern
disks are faster near the outside (start of the disk) then the inside
(I get more than 50% increase from inside to outside on one system).

A second disk is OK as long as it's the same type of disk running at
the same transfer rate.

--
Peter Jeremy