Date:      Sat, 29 Jun 1996 07:24:08 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Jacob M. Parnas" <jparnas@jparnas.cybercom.net>
Cc:        Henry Spencer <henry@zoo.toronto.edu>, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, bsdi-users@bsdi.com
Subject:   Re: muliport boards - building a PPP dialup server

"Jacob M. Parnas" wrote in message ID
<199606290548.BAA06076@jparnas.cybercom.net>:
> Why connect at high speeds with a UART: money.  Most ethernet solutions
> cost well over $1000 not counting the ethernet hardware which may not be at
> home.  (card, tranceiver or hub, cables, etc).  I've seen a PC Card that
> costs $199-$319 depending on who you are, and it does everything with a UART
> on top (the software driver for BSDI will be $95.  So, how does $400 sound to

I'm sorry? I cabled and equipped a LAN at home for less than $1000,
for 3 machines (2 PC's, and one `other') (admittedly 10b2, not 10bT
which is what I would go for today).

I take it you are talking about MAN/WAN solutions rather than LAN
solutions? If that is what you are talking about, then it REALLY
depends where you are ... it costs 400 pounds (about $600 US) just to
INSTALL ISDN in this country :-(

> you compared to the ethernet solution, considering that the $400 non-ethernet
> solution compare to an ethernet one.  You can get up to 512 Kbaud/second
> with it, it has 3 types of compression and header compression (Stac, Ascend
> and Microsoft) and can change from two BRI channels down to one and vice
> versa as the other channel is used for voice fax, analog modem, phone, etc.
> Pretty good in my opinion.

Yet again, it depends on your application ... even if you buy a
high-speed serial card, you still need the equipment to attach to it,
which can be even more expensive. If you compare the overall cost with
an integrated TA/router (take the Ascent P50 or P25 for an example),
and the advantages/disadvantages for your particular application
(i.e. the fact that you have 1 pc which causes problems if you reboot
to change the kernel or if it crashes), then non-PC solutions become
attractive.

Gary