Date:      Wed, 23 Oct 2002 14:54:52 +0200
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
Cc:        leegold <leegold@fastmail.fm>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X will not start as root - need help

# syborg@stny.rr.com / 2002-10-23 08:13:47 -0400:
> On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, leegold wrote:
>
> > Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 01:34:44 UT
> > From: leegold <leegold@fastmail.fm>
> > To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> > Subject: X will not start as root - need help
> >
> > I tried to start X as root and got the output below.
> > I used xf86config script durrung Fbsd 4.7 to create my XF86Config file.
> > Can anyone help me wuth the fix?
> > Thanks
> >
> > Output to screen when # startx:
> >
> > (==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Tue Oct 22 20:18:58 2002
> > (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config"
> > Symbol drmFreeBufs from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/r128_drv.o is unresolved!
> > Symbol drmR128TextureBlit from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/r128_drv.o is unresolved!
> > Symbol drmFreeBufs from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/r128_drv.o is unresolved!

    this is a problem...

> > (EE) Mouse1: cannot open input device
> > (EE) PreInit failed for input device "Mouse1"
> > No core pointer
> > Fatal server error:
> > failed to initialize core devices

    ... but this is *the* problem. XF86Config(5):

       Option "AllowMouseOpenFail"  "boolean"
              This  allows  the  server  to  start up even if the
              mouse device can't be opened/initialised.  Default:
              false.

> FWIW, I can't startx as root with xwrapper installed, but that's ok. I
> think the main reason X isn't starting is because it can't figure out
> what/where your mouse is. I've seen these last 2 xauth burps before and
> they haven't kept X from loading. Also, that r128_drv error could be a
> problem, but I think it should just use the SVGA drive if that one fails.
>
> What type of mouse? Can you send that mouse part of your XF86Config file?

    plus the output of "grep mouse /etc/rc.conf"

--
If you cc me or take the list(s) out completely I'll most likely
ignore your message.