Date:      Mon, 9 Oct 2000 02:39:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Scott Dodson <sdodson@beoclu-01.phy.gasou.edu>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Jon Paterson <jpaterson@itchannel.net>, "'freebsd-stable@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Correct sequence for keeping a 4.1 system stable.

On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <A0E035400B00D4118F9E0008C70D4D77A88A@ITC1> Jon Paterson writes:
> : If these seem like trivial questions please do not flame me, I have never
> : attempted to do this before and do not want to damage a working system!
>
> >From src/UPDATING:
>
> 	To update from 4.0-RELEASE or later to the most current
> 	4.x-STABLE
> 	----------
> 	make buildworld
> 	make buildkernel KERNEL=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
> 	make installkernel KERNEL=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
> 	reboot	(in single user) [1]
> 	make installworld
> 	mergemaster
> 	reboot

Has anyone else had problems following this method?  I've only had
success with building world, installing world, building and then of course
installing the kernel  Everytime i've tried it as described in UPDATING,
i've gotten many errors.  Never had a problem doing it the way i've
described.

-scott