Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2001 19:51:38 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        "Oscar Castaneda" <oscarcvt@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hotmail question

On Saturday 15 September 2001 16:46, Oscar Castaneda wrote:
> does any body know if hotmail works based on freebsd? if so what version
> might they use?
>
> in my perception, if it does run on freebsd, it goes to show how stable and
> robust an os it is, under the heavy load i suspect they handle.

If memory serves ...
Prior to M$ buying hotmail, the service was running on a combination of FreeBSD
and Solaris w/ qmail.  When M$ bought them, they tried to convert things to NT 4.
It was a disaster.  I had a hotmail account at the time, and service sucked.  Finally,
they (more or less) gave up and let things run as they had been.  This was able
to be verified via netcraft or other OS detection means for some time, that hotmail
was still running FreeBSD.  I think it was over 2 years later that they finally managed
to migrate the bulk of the system to W2K.  The rumor mill has it that a lot of the
back-end servers still run FreeBSD, but I don't know how to tell you to verify this.
Netcraft currently reports that the front-end servers are running W2K and have
been for at least the past year.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology technical services