Date:      Wed, 21 Jan 1998 19:33:36 -0500
From:      "Jordyn A. Buchanan" <jordyn@bestweb.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why enable routed by default?

At 10:24 AM +1030 1/22/98, Greg Lehey wrote:
>I note that the default setting for FreeBSD installations (as of
>2.2.5) is still to start routed.  Considering that the vast majority
>of users are on leaf nodes with a single connect to the Net, this
>doesn't make sense, and it frequently causes problems with PPP
>dialups.  Can't we change the default to not starting the daemon?

This would be a good idea.  Even on systems that are not leaf nodes, I
think the demand for RIP is becoming increasingly small in the brave new
world of classless routing.  (Yeah yeah, there's RIPv2, but that fails to
correct many of the other deficiencies of RIP).  Having something like this
on by default can also add a bit of complication to your life when you are
expecting only your routers to be exchanging RIP updates and suddenly your
hosts start getting involved as well...

Jordyn

|Jordyn A. Buchanan                    mailto:jordyn@bestweb.net |
|Bestweb Corporation                      http://www.bestweb.net |
|Senior System Administrator                     +1.914.271.4500 |