Date:      Sun, 3 Sep 2000 18:09:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   AIC7892 / Adaptec 29160

I've been having a devil of a time installing 4.1-RELEASE on a machine
with a Supermicro 370DL3.  The machine has a built in AIC7892 Ultra160
SCSI controller.  I've tried LVD, UW, and narrow drives on all three
connectors along with different cables and different drives.  No
combination will be successful.  The install always picks a random point
during the install of the bin dist to hang.  Sometimes if I wait around
long enough I will get a panic with SCB errors.  To make sure the
problem wasn't the SCSI controller I stuck an Adaptec 29160 in one of
the 64-bit PCI slots and hooked the drive to that, turning the onboard
SCSI controller off in the BIOS.  I still receive the same behavior from
sysinstall.  This leads me to believe it is an issue related to 29160
support in 4.1-RELEASE.  I don't have any Ultra160 capable drives but
I've tried LVD 80, UW 40, and UN 20 drives on the appropriate
connectors.  Does anybody. anywhere have any advice on how to get
FreeBSD installed on this machine and then how to make sure it's not
going to crash in the future?  My problem appears very similiar to this
one found in the archives but not followed up on:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=1702308+1705755+/usr/local/www/db/text/2000/freebsd-questions/20000319.freebsd-questions

Brandon D. Valentine
bandix at looksharp.net  |  bandix at structbio.vanderbilt.edu
"Truth suffers from too much analysis." -- Ancient Fremen Saying