Date:      Sat, 26 May 2001 13:16:32 -0700
From:      Justin C.Walker <justin@mac.com>
To:        <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>, "<freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: UDP - Reliable throughput mesaurement

On Saturday, May 26, 2001, at 12:52 PM, Harkirat Singh wrote:

> Thanks for your reply, I looked at Netpref and that even I used for
> measuring thruput in case of TCP. I felt that instead of writing my own
> reliable application over UDP I would use some standard
> mesaurement tool.
>
> In Netperf they have a option called "UDP_RR" UDP Request/Reply,
> will this
> take care of loss? I feel that there must be some tool which I am not
> aware of.

There are no tools that I'm aware of that do what you want
directly.  The doc that comes with 'netperf' isn't exactly complete
in its description of what UDP_RR does.   The implication of the
man page is that it complains if a request times out. Check the
source is my advice.

Regards,

Justin

---
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large  *
Institute for General Semantics        |
Director of Technology                 |   When LuteFisk is outlawed
Nexsi Systems Corp.                    |   Only outlaws will have
1959 Concourse Drive                   |       LuteFisk
San Jose, CA  95131                    |