Date:      Sun, 9 Mar 2008 22:36:43 -0800
From:      "Peter Wemm" <peter@wemm.org>
To:        "Mike Lempriere" <mike@vintners.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: list spam

On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 8:53 PM, Mike Lempriere <mike@vintners.net> wrote:
> I've had it with the list spam -- is the any possibility of moderating
>  this list, or changing it to must-be-subscriber-to-post?

I for one would like this too.

On one hand, it is inconvenient for people with multiple email
addresses, but there is an easy way around that.  What you do is
subscribe twice, and go to the options page and turn off email for one
of them.  That way you can (for example) email with your normal
address and receive email from the list on unique addresses for
sorting or whatever.

We do this on other lists for freebsd.org.  However, we need to have
mailman be a little smarter about it.  Right now, it holds the
messages for moderation.  Instead, it needs to immediately bounce the
email with instructions about what to do.  Otherwise we have the
situation where somebody emails and gets i the queue, then sends with
the right address and it goes through. Later on, the message is
approved and we get a duplicate on the list.

-Peter
"If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete
themselves upon execution." -- Robert Sewell