Date:      Sat, 08 Mar 2003 22:34:37 +0000
From:      Colin Percival <colin.percival@wadham.ox.ac.uk>
To:        "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@nitro.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-binup@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: binup project

At 19:03 08/03/2003 +0100, Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
>I remember looking at it and it looked very interesting. If I remember
>correctly
>on "only" deals with making/applying updated and not the distribution right?
>
>Perhaps your code could be put together with the simple HTTP protocol I was
>looking at to actually get a complete remote binary updater... It could be a
>start for a full binup.

   My code cryptographically signs the updates; they can then be
distributed by whatever means is convenient (http, ftp, shortwave radio
broadcast...) although since the client code uses fetch(1) that imposes
some restrictions.  Doing things this way, in addition to eliminating
spoofing attacks, also makes it possible for the severely paranoid to
perform all secure operations on a system which is physically disconnected
from the Internet (and copy the update files to a webserver via sneakernet).

Colin Percival