Date:      Fri, 18 Sep 1998 20:26:00 +0200
From:      Alex Le Heux <alexlh@funk.org>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   3Com 3c900-FL, The sequel

Hi all,

Several people mailed me suggestions (all the same :-) for some small
changes to pci/if_xl.c and pci/if_xlreg.h. So after waking up my ancient
-current partition and waiting for hours while cvsup brought it up to date
I applied them.

The machine paniced during boot, complaining about mediatype bits. After
some mucking about it now assumes the card uses the MII interface.

Leaves only one question: Does it actually work?

We bought the card to use it on the machine that has our primary connection
to the net. This connection is now on a ST-AUI tranceiver. As there's
constantly about a megabit of traffic over that line, lots of people would
be very unhappy if I took it down to test my modifications.

What I'm going to try is to connect the send- to the receive ports, and see
if I can do some kind of loopback. If that doesn't work I'll contact a
company I know and ask them (very sweetly) if I can borrow a tranceiver.

If anyone has other suggestions, I'll be happy to hear them.

Alex Le Heux

---
Water water everywhere, and not a drop to drink
Lusers lusers everywhere, and not a one can think
       - alt.sysadmin.recovery 18/08/98