Date:      Fri, 14 Oct 2011 06:28:01 +0200
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        "Gavin L. Bates" <gavin.bates@pcorp.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell Poweredge 1950 III (PE_SC3): replacement SAS controller to acceess drives >= 3TB

Hello Gavin.

In our case, we use a 750 GB drive to boot the system, the 3 TB drive is
a ZFS volume with a underlying GPT partition. This is the last state we
used, prior to that we tried a ZFS-only without any underlying
partitioning, which also gave us not the expected 3 TB, but 2,2 TB.

The 3TB drive has been "initiated" on another box equipted with a
ordinary Intel ICH10R controller, which didn't have had any problems
using the whole 3 TB of the disk. Installing that drive on the Dell PE
1950III and importing the ZFS volume failed. It worked only in the case
of initiating/initialising the drive on the Dell and its SAS-6
controller (LSI SAS 3000 type, 1068E-4port), but in this case, only 2,2
TB were visible.

I was digging for a replacement BIOS/Firmware for this SAS controller,
since it was very common that time and SuperMicro also used a similar
type, which was capable of using storage > 2,2 TB - but it seems that is
depending on the revision of the HBA's board or controller type. Earlier
this year I asked for a solution in this forum, but it came out, that
the Dell box uses an earlier type of that LSI controller which isn't
capable of addressing more than 2,2 TB. I don't dare to flash the
Firmware with an alternative, it's too dangerous since I've got no spare
part in case of failure.

The pitty is that those SAS boards seem to be custom size, so it's not
even easy to simple replace the Dell card with a value LSI alternative,
as your links revealed.

I hoped to find someone who had already faced this problematic situation
but I see, there is obviously no solution.

Best regards,
Oliver