Date:      Thu, 1 Apr 1999 14:51:17 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        president@sextracker.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG, noc@nethead.com
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 3950U2B Ver 2.11.0

Andrew N. Edmond (Nero) wrote...
> Our hardware vendor, in an effort to save us PCI slot space, fitted us
> with a new 3950U2B instead of the old 3940 (no longer in production!)
> cards we were used to.  All documents on FreeBSD.org say that FreeBSD 3.1
> supports this card.  However, /stand/sysinstall refuses to see it when I
> try to mount drives on the card.  What's the status of the 3950U2B CAM
> driver?

Well, the 3950 *is* supported, if you get one of the newer 3.1-STABLE or
4.0-CURRENT snapshots.  I know this for a fact, since Justin used my 3950U2
to get things working a couple of weeks ago:

ahc0: <Adaptec 3950U2 Ultra2 SCSI adapter> rev 0x00 int a irq 12 on pci0.10.0
ahc0: aic7896/97 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs
ahc1: <Adaptec 3950U2 Ultra2 SCSI adapter> rev 0x00 int a irq 12 on pci0.10.1
ahc1: aic7896/97 Wide Channel B, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs

He checked support for that card into -stable on March 22nd/23rd, in
revision 1.5.2.3 of sys/pci/ahc_pci.c, and revision 1.16.2.4 of
sys/dev/aic7xxx/aic7xxx.c.

The reason that the 3.1 release notes say that the 3950 is supported is
that Justin has a prerelease 3950 board that works just fine.  But, as it
turns out, they changed the PCI ID and some of the features for the "real"
3950, so the kernel wouldn't recognize it.  (for instance, his prerelease
board has external SRAM, but my production 3950U2 does not)

Anyway, you should be able to get things working if you get one of the
post-March 23rd snapshots from here:

ftp://releng3.FreeBSD.ORG/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/i386

The board seems to work fine for me, but I've only got 4 narrow 2gig
Seagate Hawks on it, so I'm hardly pushing it.

> > After trying 3.1-REL, 3.1-STABLE and 3.0-REL it still won't see the
> > second scsi card.  I've built it with 3.1-REL on just the 4gb drive
> > and will poke around in the mail lists and kernal configs to see if I
> > can find a magic switch.
> >
> > sshd is running on it if you want to take a crack at it.  The card is
> > an Adaptec 3950U2B Ver 2.11.0 and is set for 80Mby transfer with 2
> > 18Gby drives.
> >
> > The transfer of the Frontier feed to f0/0/0 took only about 3 minutes.
> > The graphs show longer because I did the mrtg config changes after a
> > smoke.
> >
> > It's 5:00AM now, I'm going home to get some more sleep and will be in
> > this afternoon.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry