Date:      Thu, 28 May 1998 18:16:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        RHall@esigroup.com (Roger Hall)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CPU Compatibility

Roger Hall wrote:
> Hello,
> 	I am trying to convince my higher powers to let me set up a UNIX box
> on our network, and after my research, I definitely want FreeBSD (nice web
> site BTW). We have a PC with a NexGen 90 CPU that no one else wants (thus
> assuring the survival of the project), and I am wondering about
> compatibility. I didn't see CPU's on your FAQ, so I'm thinking that this is
> a newbie question - perhaps I should know that FreeBSD will run on any
> x86-CISC processor?
> 	Please briefly describe the CPU requirements.
>
> 	Thanks!
>
> Roger Hall
> Webmaster
> http://www.esigroup.com
> 501.666.4233.296

A /quick/ test is to download and make the installation floppy,
and see if it boots and runs, and how it senses your hardware.

This does /not/ commit you to continue with installation,
just bail out without doing anything.

As far as I know, it it's 386SX or better it will take FreeBSD.
There seem to be more caveats on non-CPU issues.

5MB min. 8MB comfortable without X. 16MB nice. >16MB luxury.

Dave