Date:      Wed, 15 Sep 1999 16:25:27 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        neil@synthcom.com (Neil Bradley), freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Quad-PIII...exists?

>> > 	ASUS doesn't make a dual-PIII motherboard yet, and IBM has a
>> > Quad-PIII server...but IBM is over-priced, IMHO...
>>
>> For dual PIII, go for the Supermicro. I've found so many marginal hardware
>> problems with Tyan and Asus that I'd never consider them again. I've had
>> excellent luck with all of my Supermicro boards. I don't know if they make
>> quad boards (though they'd be expensive no matter where you get them
>> from), but they make a line of very solid dual CPU motherboards.
>
>Humm... and my experience here is similiar, but in the opposite direction,
>I won't touch a Supermicro or Tyan board, but ASUS has been rock solid
>for us, sans occasional problems with BIOS code.

   ...and while we're all saying conflicting things, I've had *zero* problems
with SMP Tyan motherboards (and we're talking sample size >50 motherboards).

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.