Date:      Sun, 13 Jun 1999 20:22:03 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with recent current (from 11/6/99) and newly built kernel  mounting drives

Hi All,

My 4.0-Current system isn't too well at the moment... I cvsup'd on Friday,
rebuilt the world - installed the world, checked /etc for any changes, blew my
old Kernel config away (and rebuilt one from Generic), restarted - and the
system appears to 'stick' at the point of mounting a particular
drive/partition during boot with the new kernel...

The previous kernel was about 1 & 1/2 weeks older...

I've narrowed this down specifically to this drive/partition:

/dev/wd3s1e  /var/crash  ufs  rw  1  1

The old kernel will mount/fsck it fine (fsck reports no errors), the new one
just "goes to sleep" while trying to mount it (ps axl shows 'mount' to be in
biord - and there's no disk lights on). I could blow the partition away (and
hope that fixes it), but I'd rather find out what's going on...

I use softupdates, but _not_ on that partition (nor on / and /usr). The
machine is an SMP P-Pro200, w/256Mb RAM. I'm going to try and get some time to
try the same with a single-CPU kernel to see if that helps...

/dev is up to date, and all other partitions seem to be OK.

I tried running a ktrace on the failing mount command (I'm not too good at
this, the only way I could trace mount with command-line args was to create a
shell-script that ran "mount /var/crash", then trace the script with "ktrace
-i ./t.script".

The output is quite long - a copy is at http://www.tdx.com/ktrace.txt and
http://www.tdx.com/ktrace.out (rather than posting it here if it's something
simple/stupid like pilot error :)

Anyone got any suggestions what to try next? I have been away recently, I may
have missed something in -current pertinent to this, but a quick check through
the archives didn't appear to find anything...

Cheers,

-Karl