Date:      Tue, 9 May 1995 08:14:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Denis Fortin <fortin@zap.zap.qc.ca>
To:        mike@networx.ie (Michael Ryan)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Using walnut creek CD with Mitsumi quad-speed CD ROM

> I am using a Gateway-2000 60 Mhz. Pentium machine with a Mitsumi
> quad-speed CD Rom (Device driver version 1.10). When I try and
> boot BSD from CD, The MCD0 (Mitsumi CD) device doesn't detect
> presence of Cd-Rom.

The 4x speed Mitsumi doesn't use the proprietary interface that the
Mitsumi 1x and 2x CDROMs used.  It is an "IDE CDROM", hence the MCD0
device will not work with it.

It is my understanding that FreeBSD will soon support them (in 2.0.5 or
2.1?) but others from the list are in a better position than I am to
confirm this.
--
Denis Fortin                                                    fortin@acm.org
DMR Group Inc, (514) 877-3301                        These opinions are my own