Date:      Sat, 11 May 1996 19:47:25 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        tomhavbe@martin.luther.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: simple questions

> In the instructions for upgrading FreeBSD (in this case, from 2.1.0 to the
> latest SNAP release), it says that I will need to manually merge files in
> the /etc directory.  Exactly what does this entail?  Seeing as a good
> number of files in the /etc directory are of great importance, I am
> curious about what wouldn't be restored to that directory that I would
> need to do manually.

I assume the idea's so that you can add in any customisations you have
painstaking added to the original files, rather than having the
upgrade write the standard files over them and make you do all that
work again.

If you're familiar with emacs, merging files can be done fairly easily
with 'M-x emerge-files'; otherwise, looking at the output from 'diff'
is my best suggestion.

> Second, in the SNAP release, there are 2 boot floppies -- boot.flp and
> boot4.flp.  What's the diff between them, if any?

The second one's a cut-down version for use on systems with 4MB of
RAM.