Date:      Wed, 22 Sep 1999 23:11:56 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Monte Westlund <montejw@memes.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Followup, was: bad rc.conf?

On Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 11:24:41AM -0700, Monte Westlund wrote:
> Thanks all that replied, and those who will.
>
> I have booted as single user and nuked /etc/rc.conf. The machine now boots.

Excellent:)

> I had been making my changes to /etc/defaults/rc.conf so I have all of my
> 'overrides'. I think I was following instructions I was given correctly.
> Maybe I was given bad instructions.

It sounds like you misunderstood them. /etc/defaults/rc.conf should
not be changed. The recommended way to change these defaults is to
copy the relevant *lines* to /etc/rc.conf and edit change them
there. For example, when you install, any items specific to your
system, e.g. hostname, network settings etc, are put in /etc/rc.conf
for you. If you later wish to change, for examplpe, the console
screensaver and the 8x8 font then copy the ``saver='' and ``font8x8=''
lines to /etc/rc.conf and edit them.

By way of an example, this is my /etc/rc.conf:

# This file now contains just the overrides from /etc/defaults/rc.conf
# please make all changes to this file.

# -- sysinstall generated deltas -- #
ifconfig_xl0="inet   netmask 255.255.255.0"
moused_port="/dev/psm0"
moused_enable="YES"
# saver="warp"
saver="matrix"
blanktime="300"
scrnmap="NO"
defaultrouter="NO"
network_interfaces="xl0 lo0"
hostname="marder-1"
linux_enable="YES"

allscreens_flags="-m on VGA_80x30"
font8x8="iso-8x8"
font8x14="iso-8x14"
font8x16="iso-thin-8x16"
keymap="uk.cp850.swap"

# dumpdev="/dev/da0s3b"

> Best regards,
> Monte Westlund
> -Monte
> montejw@memes.com

STATE-OF-THE-ART: Any computer you can't afford.
OBSOLETE: Any computer you own.