Date:      Mon, 6 Mar 1995 14:01:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Duane Ellison <duane@gargamel.ptw.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Assistance Requested: Com Stuff

Hello All!!!

I am kind of confused (as usual) on a couple of things and I hope someone
out there can help me out.

1.	Is it not the "CORRECT" way to configure a communications port to
	just leave it as /dev/tty02.  I have noticed in different documents
	that different device identifiers (definitions) are used, such as
	/dev/cua2, /dev/ttyd2.  Right now I am just using the tty devices
	for everything I want to do and just changing the /etc/ttys file
	as required.  If I should use these other device names how do I go
	about configuring them?

2.	In setting up PPP on my system I modeled my scripts after the ppp
	document in the FAQ area (document by Grennady B. Sorokopud).
	One thing I have noticed is that I have to (before starting the
	script) issue a &C &D for it to work.  If I don't kermit (or anything
	else for that matter) will not return from /dev/tty02 and upon
	completion of the kermit.dial (quit) the modem hangs up.  My question
	is: is this how this is suppose to work or am I not configuring
	something correctly?

3.	Now this question may go inline with the above (meaning the fix
	{if any}) for 2 will fix this.  How do you correctly use the
	pppd with the chat command.  I have gone over both the pppd and
	chat man pages and I have tried every different options that I can
	think of and have not be able for it to work.  It does access the
	modem (I see the TR light come on) but no commands are send to
	the modem.  Basically I have tried:
	pppd /dev/tty02 57600 connect 'chat atdt999 connect ogin: bla'

Well those are my main concerns right now.  I hope I am not asking
something really stupid but I would really apprecaite some assistance.

Thanks...

Duane