Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 2004 00:27:52 -0400
From:      "Thomas Farrell" <info@mvcg.net>
To:        "Bernard Rice" <bernardr@nc.rr.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: sendmail issues

Not sure totally understand question.  I will take a stab at it.  sendmail
uses a file /etc/mail/access to controll relaying. It actually does not use
this file it uses /etc/mail/access.db  but this is a database file "hash"
which cannot be edited by people of ordinary intelligents or at least not
me.   Most probable cause of (of f network) users not being able to sendmail
is a relaying restriction. You may want to look into pop b4 smtp. Pop b4
smtp work's by clients authenticate against pop3 first the source IP of
client is added to  /etc/mail/access, access is turned into access.db
"makemap"  and sendmail is restarted and then client sends.

pop-before-smtp
http://popbsmtp.sourceforge.net/

All configuration files for sendmail are located in /etc/mail/
Example startup/stop script is located in /usr/local/etc/rc.d
Or you can just type  "Shell>ps -auxwww | grep send"  and then run "kill -9
PID"  to stop and "kill -HUP PID" to just restart.