Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 2002 15:08:07 +0800
From:      Calvin NG <calvinng@brel.com>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Tomcat4 and catalina:jsp_classpath

Greetings,

  I have just finished installing jakarta-tomcat4 from the ports collection.
  Testing the servlets looks okay, however, when running the JSP examples,
  I get a very nicely formatted Tomcat4 error page reporting "Internal Server Error"
  due to exception: javax.servlet.ServletException: sun/tools/javac/Main
  root cause: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: sun/tools/javac/Main

  It is quite apparent that Tomcat is not able to find tools.jar that is
  in $JAVA_HOME/lib/   (I checked, the tools.jar is still there).

  Looking carefully at Tomcat4's doc, specifically Class Loader How-To,
  it mentions that Catalina will ignore the system setting, CLASSPATH,
  but will load its classes in a very specific way. (I will not repeat it
  here, those interested should read
   http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/class-loader-howto.html

  Now it seems that my Tomcat4 installation is not following this to
  the letter, and has failed to load $JAVA_HOME/lib/tools.jar
  Maybe someone can point out what I am doing wrong.

  I can solve this problem by copying $JAVA_HOME/lib/tools.jar into
  $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib/tools.jar   but I would like to know if
  anyone else has encounter this problem and how they resolve it.

  NOTE: you can take a peek at catalina:jsp_classpath  at
   http://localhost:8180/examples/servlet/SnoopServlet
  assuming default installation with examples
  mine doesn't contain bootstrap.jar or tools.jar

Regards,
/calvin