Date:      Mon, 26 Jan 2009 18:03:54 -0800
From:      Len Gross <sandiegobiker@gmail.com>
To:        Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: MTU or Fragmentation Problems on 7.0?

Ian,

Thanks so much for taking the time to look at this problem.

I do not have any firewall running on any of the machines, unless
something "auto enables."  The  only rc.conf entries are ifconfig and
routing.

The thing that is most puzzling to me is that everything is fine on
FreeBSD #2 even though it is "behind" a link with 1450 MTU.  This
sounds like it must be a "bug" on  FreeBSD #2 (version 7.0) routing
from the 1450 route to the 1500 route to FreeBSD 3.  But if that were
true, why would running a Web Proxy on FreeBSD #1 work?

Some other data.  I get the same problem if I replace FreeBSD 3 with a
Windows box.
I'm pretty sure I had similar behaviour with FreeBSD 6.3 as machine
#2,, but it was ignored at the time.  I've seen the problem with
connections to two different ISPs.

I can live with having a Web Proxy on FreeBSD # 1, but I am concerned
that this issue will crop up someplace else.

-- Len