Date:      Mon, 21 Apr 2008 12:43:25 +0100
From:      Pete French <petefrench@ticketswitch.com>
To:        zbeeble@gmail.com
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dreadful gmirror performance, though each half works fine

> I would suppose you might have to sync the mirror and then break off and
> forget the local copy and then sync again.  In our case, I'm not sure --- it
> was awhile ago, but a number of them are also in the 'load' state --- as the
> higher latency network drives would normally show a higher load.

I did some benchmarking, and "load" gives me a bit better performance than
"round-robin" so I've elected to use that. Haven't tried "prefer" as
syncing all the drives backwards and forwards to get the preferences set
seems a bit too much like hard work!

When I started writing this post I was going to say that the iscsi initiator
patch has fixed all my problems, and  that it has run beautifully for the
entire weekend with no lockups. But as I started typing this I set a large
copy from the remote drive going in another window, and this now appears
to have locked up :-(

It's frustrating, it is *so* close to being workable with iscsi, and the
performance is very good, but if it is going to keep locking up on
me then I just cant use it that way :-(

Thanks for all the advice though, very useful.

-pete.