Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 2008 16:44:39 -0500
From:      Shelby Cain <scain@exgenesis.com>
To:        Mel <fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net>
Cc:        Edward Capriolo <edlinuxguru@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Invoking ldconfig without arguments wipes all hints and makes me very sad

--=-blJ1mChlhSBQVCxvDgpQ

On Thu, 2008-04-10 at 23:09 +0200, Mel wrote:
>=20
> First of all, running ldconfig without arguments does nothing bad. Runnin=
g=20
> ldconfig without flags and with arguments does.
>=20
> Secondly, what is the command:
> ldconfig /usr/lib
>=20
> supposed to do, according to newbie friendly logic?
> Because it should be possible to "just have the linker create hints for o=
ne=20
> directory".
>=20

Your example seems perfectly reasonable should one wish to create hints
for only one directory.

However, in my particular case it seems that my blunder of running
ldconfig -v (and not ldconfig by itself as I had assumed - my bad) is
sufficient to render it impossible to log in as my regular user account
since I had set my default login shell to bash.  That, in conjunction
with root being disallowed by default in sshd effectively locked me out
of my machine once I closed my only open ssh session.

Modifying my original suggestion slightly, is there any reason why it
would be a bad thing for ldconfig to assume -r when either -v with no
other arguments (or no arguments at all) is passed to ldconfig or is
there some specific reason for the current behavior?

Regards,

Shelby Cain

--=-blJ1mChlhSBQVCxvDgpQ

--=-blJ1mChlhSBQVCxvDgpQ--