Date:      Tue, 05 Feb 2002 01:30:53 +1030
From:      Mike Gratton <mike@vee.net>
To:        andrew.cowan@hsd.com.au
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1013144385.29174d@mired.org>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Juha Saarinen <juha@saarinen.org>, "Brian T.Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>, Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>, Paul Fardy <pdfardy@mac.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Junior Annoying Hacker Task

Andrew Cowan wrote:

> However, I have previously thought that a system that used xml files to
> store application configs (that would then be used to generate valid conf
> files) would be useful.

I was on the verge of doing so the other day. Basically, I wanted to
have standard configuration data describing the network, services and
service configuration stored in XML and use XSLT to produce which-ever
config files you need. You then introduce some inheritance and allow
configuration to be overridden for particular hosts, subnets, networks,
and/or platforms, and you have a powerful site-wide configuration
management tool.

You get all the usual benefits from using XML as well; data source,
processing and output independence, so the configuration data could be
use to automatically generate HTML for helpdesk pages, could be sourced
from existing a variety of new or pre-existing data repositories (LDAP,
CVS, file system, etc.) and could be processed and edited using a number
of standard tools.

If only I had not run out of time write it, I'd be happily using this today.

Mike.
--
Mike Gratton <mike@vee.net>
"Every motive escalate."