Date:      Sun, 16 Jul 2000 13:29:46 -0400
From:      "Troy Settle" <troy@picus.com>
To:        "Kris Kennaway" <kris@FreeBSD.org>, "Francisco Reyes" <fran@reyes.somos.net>
Cc:        "FreeBSd Chat list" <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Is Stable really stable?

-STABLE is /very/ stable.  Sure, some funky stuff sneaks in once in a
while, but like Kris said, it's just a matter of keeping up with
the -stable mailing list and choosing your target carefully.  If you
miss, then reload, take aim, and try again :)

** > The recent changes in the way of making new kernels plus the
**
** Repeat after me: it's not a recent change - people just
** didn't get the
** message until it was rammed down their throats recently.

I confess, I've not been keeping up with things very well, but what's
changed in the way that kernels are built?

I don't remember doing anything other than:

	cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
	cp GENERIC MYKERNEL
	vi MYKERNEL
	config MYKERNEL
	cd ../../compile/MYKERNEL
	make depend all install
	reboot

Which seems to work equally well on my 2.2.8-STABLE, 3.2-STABLE, and
4.0-STABLE boxes.  I'm quite positive it was the same as far back as
2.1.5 (when I first got serious about FreeBSD).

--
  Troy Settle
  Network Analyst