Date:      Mon, 2 Dec 2013 23:30:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      Beeblebrox <zaphod@berentweb.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   pkg install from ports list

If one has a list of packages which one wants to install, one can do:
pkg install `cat /path-to/pkg.list`
And the packages listed in that file will get installed.

Unfortunately, I have a list of ports (which I fed to poudriere for the
build). Now I have a list of ports which I would like to install but I must
convert it to a package list. Removing the section preceding the slash and
generating a new file of the trailing section is not difficult, but it does
not solve the problem.

Many packages do not have the same name as the trailing section. For example
devel/qmake4 package is named qt4-qmake-4*, and thus pkg install qmake4 does
not work.

How to install the list of ports then? I don't see a way to feed a list of
port names into pkg install (which would be very nice actually). If
portmaster were to support pkgng, "portmaster -PP `cat
~/installed-port-list` " would have done it, but I see no replacement for
it. portupgrade does not work either and actually seems broken. Is there a
work-around?

Regards.

-----
FreeBSD-11-current_amd64_root-on-zfs_RadeonKMS