Date:      Thu, 08 Jul 1999 19:41:39 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        "Andrew Johns" <A_Johns@TurnAround.com.au>
Cc:        "=?iso-8859-1?Q?Alejandro_Ram=EDrez?=" <ales@megared.net.mx>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Uptime basics!!!

>The load average figures are an indication of the number of processors
>(ie:CPU's) that would be kept 100% busy by the current processes
>(ie:programs) running on the machine.
>
>So, load average = 1 implies you've got a busy machine which is using
>100% of it's CPU(s) (irrespective of how many CPU's you have).  If the
>load goes to 5.3, then you are running enough processes to keep 5 CPU's
>100% busy and one more CPU at 30%.

   Uh, no, that is not what the load average means. The load average is a
composite number that includes both runnable processes and processes that
are blocked in a short term wait (usually disk I/O). This means that for
machines that are doing heavy disk I/O, the load average could be quite high
even when the CPU is 95% idle. On wcarchive, for example, the load average
typically runs around 40-50 with 50% CPU idle time. This may sound high,
but there are 38 disk drives on the machine, so although the drives are
fairly busy, the I/O is spread out over all of them - keeping the interactive
response time low and overall performance quite high.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com