Date:      Wed, 29 May 2002 22:21:11 +0200
From:      Stefan Schwarzer <sschwarzer@sschwarzer.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DB2 on FreeBSD??

Hello Lance

"Lance M.Westerhoff" wrote:
> > Have you considered PostgreSQL?  It's another _extremely_ powerful
> > open-source database.
>
> Agreed.  A little more research may be in order here.  Do you know if
> either MySQL or PostgreSQL offer any Object Oriented or Object
> Relational support (like Oracle)?  Biological systems are inherently
> object oriented and over the coming months I'll be exploring OO DBMS to
> see what I can see.  I have focused exclusively on RDBMS's such as MySQL
> (the databases are currently fully implemented with MySQL), but OO seems
> interesting (at least for certain types of applications).

PostgreSQL provides some object relational features (see the docs on
http://www.postgresql.org/) but is not really an object-oriented
database. Neither is MySQL, Oracle or DB2 (AFAIK).

If you want to choose from the more common database servers but also do
object-oriented programming I recommend using an OO-ER wrapper framework
for your programming language.

In a project we use Python with PostgreSQL; there are several OO-ER
mappers (though you probably will have more work with Python than with
e. g. Java because of Python's dynamic "nature").

I would be interested to know what happens further. :-)

Stefan