Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 2002 18:02:10 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        "Corey Snow" <corey@snowpoint.com>
Cc:        Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Serial console issues

On 18 Jun 2002, at 13:40, Corey Snow boldly uttered:
> On 17 Jun 2002, at 20:35, djf2 wrote:

> >      Yup.  I can access the console just fine at 9600 baud.  I'm just
> > trying to increase that speed.  The documentation makes it seem like its
> > possible, but I have yet to get the serial port to use any other speed.
> >

> I've been having the same problem. I tried everything I could think
> of. The only other thing I can think of to try is to use a different
> terminal program. However, since I can use ssh to get into the box, I
> don't worry too much about a 9600 baud serial console. It's
> irritating, but not hugely so.
>
> I suppose it could also be related to the ancient motherboard my
> headless box runs on. It's an old 486 DX2/66 and may not do well at
> higher COM port speeds.

Quite a few 486's had no problems with higher serial speeds, it
really comes down to the UART.  Either you had add-in serial or multi-
IO cards with 16550 UARTs, or some 486's even had them embedded on
the MB. (ie this AMI Voyager board I have sitting here - although the
SMC multi-IO chip had some other serial bug :-)

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium