Date:      Sun, 16 Mar 2003 13:49:11 -0500
From:      taxman <taxman@acd.net>
To:        "Joe Sotham" <joe@dubium.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: latest stable branch upgrade fails

Then the correct list for this is freebsd-stable@freebsd.org

>  *default host=cvsup.ca.FreeBSD.org
>  *default base=/usr
>  *default prefix=/usr
>  *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4
>  *default delete use-rel-suffix
>  *default compress
>  src-all
>
> In the /usr/src directory I did a make clean, then make

I don't think a make clean will do anything good for you, but I could be
mistaken.  I think make distclean is what you are looking for.  I can't find
the references on that atm.
Did you delete your usr/obj directory too?  If not, stuff left in there could
cause your problem.

> The following error occurs.  I have tried this a number of times including
> deleting the entire src tree and then cvsuping again.

Do you get the exact same error even after cvsupping your src tree again?

also if you want better help, try to include the most information you can.  I
deduced that the failure was during buildworld, but you didn't note that.
What version are you running right now?
btw, if you delete your src tree, try copying one over from the latest CD you
have then cvsupping, it will save a lot of network bandwidth for you and the
servers.
hth,

Tim