Date:      Sun, 28 May 2000 17:22:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bryan Liesner <bleez@bellatlantic.net>
To:        Jahanur R Subedar <jahanur@jjsoft.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2nd NIC 3com 8315

On Sun, 28 May 2000, Jahanur R Subedar wrote:

>I try to install the 2nd NIC which is 3com 8315 isa.
>I can see at boot time that its picked up at
>ed0 0x300 irq 10 isa
>but it does not sets up its ifcofig from the rc.conf
>setting.
>But if i enter it manually by the ifconfig command it stays.
>Very strabge, Can you tell me why is it not picking up from
>the rc.conf file.
>Please help

In rc.conf, you have to specify either:
network_interfaces="auto"
or specifically say which interfaces you want to configure like:
network_interfaces="lo0 dc0 dc1"

Now that we've done that, here are two ways to get ifconfig to do its
job.  I'm using my dc1 interface as an example.

Add something like this to rc.conf:
ifconfig_dc1="inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 0xffffff00"

OR, if you don't add the above line in rc.conf, create a file in /etc
called start_if.dc1 containing:
ifconfig dc1 inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 0xffffff00

= Bryan D. Liesner         LeezSoft Communications, Inc. =
=                          A subsidiary of LeezSoft Inc. =
= bleez@bellatlantic.net   Home of the Gipper            =