Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 2004 22:39:57 -0400
From:      Joe Altman <fj@panix.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lament about freebsd sacrifices

On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 11:36:05AM -0700, Peter Leftwich wrote:
> I thought I would post this as something of a warning.  Using
> FreeBSD as a primary, non-dual-boot OS means sacrificing.  Here is a
> partial list of sacrifices, as compared to Microsoft Windows XP:
>
> * flatbed scanner

joe on anna $: du -ch ~/tmp/Scanning-Project/

303M /home/joe/tmp/Scanning-Project/MetMuseumBulletinWinter81-82
2.8M /home/joe/tmp/Scanning-Project/Orion-Arm-Poster-Natl-Geographic
167M /home/joe/tmp/Scanning-Project/MetMuseumBulletinFall1980
198M /home/joe/tmp/Scanning-Project/MetMuseumBulletinWinter83-84
671M /home/joe/tmp/Scanning-Project/
671M total

HP Scanjet 2200C; a USB device.

> * MP3 devices

Creative Labs' Muvo bits are in  5.x, I believe. If I weren't lazy,
I'd use mine.

> Any major sacrifices I've forgotten?

Major sacrifices using Windows XP:

mutt
slrn
exim
xmms
commandline iso generation
windowmaker
KDE
Gnome
RSS using Liferea
Xpdf
ps2*
pdf2*
Xine
Streamtuner, for my local MP3 collection and remote streams
emacs
Wterm
Eterm
ssh and sftp in the base install
text based browsers
bash and the shell in general

Learning, even though I don't hack code, how to edit a makefile and
figure out how to maintain a system by RTFMing and using google, not
to omit documentation installed on my local system.

Learning that running Excessive UT in Linux emulation on FreeBSD 4.9
is like swimming with boots on. <-- I crack me up.

Learning how to ask a smart question.

Learning, period.

Lost time: daily anti-virus signature updates; monthly security
	   patches to the base OS and apps duct-taped to the base OS