Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2000 00:21:49 -0800
From:      The Mad Scientist <madscientist@thegrid.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NEC 7022 won't boot FreeBSD

All,
	I have a P75 NEC Ready 7022 and am trying to do something useful with it.
(Not sure what yet, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.)  At any
rate, I am able to boot off of it's CD-ROM and install fBSD on to it's
1.03G disk.  When I reboot, it goes through the BIOS stuff and then gives
me a 'read error' when it tries to hit the disk.  I'm pretty sure this has
something to do with the fact that the two options my BIOS gives me for
reporting disk geometry are 'DOS' and 'Other'.  Neither of these choices
makes a whit of difference.  I can boot from a floppy and mount the drive
with out any problems.  The FreeBSD CD I'm using is 3.2.  Here's my
question(s):
	What options do I have?  Would booteasy help me or would it hang after I
press F1 for FreeBSD because of the same problem?  I've checked NEC's web
page and there are no updates for the BIOS (possibly because the BIOS isn't
flash-updatable.....)  I've checked through the -questions mailing list
archives.  Here are my idea(s):
	Boot off a floppy and have it change it's root device to disk1s1a.  This I
am having some trouble with, plus I don't know that I want to be booting
off a floppy all the time.  Yank the drive and install PicoBSD on it.  And
then do what? (It's too small to do IPFW/nat/socks for my dsl
firewall/router, isn't it?)  Re-write the bios.

Thanks in advance,
-Dean