Date:      Wed, 11 Apr 2001 15:10:40 +0200
From:      "Michael Nottebrock" <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, <michael@tenzo.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Naming ethernet NICs

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To: <michael@tenzo.com>; <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2001 7:45 AM

O'Henly

> >So if NICs are named on the basis of their type/driver, doesn't
> >that mean a
> >lot of reconfiguring is needed if you should happen to replace a
card with
> >something different?
> >

> Let me point out that with regular PC hardware, you can't replace a
NIC with
> a different type without taking the server offline.  Once you do
that, all
> of the benefits of "transparent reconfiguration" are basically lost.
>
> In any case, even if you do it differently and make everything
"eth0, eth1,
> etc. and so on, then how do you determine what physical card in the
system
> goes with what port?
>
> To give you an example, recently I built a router on a 486 with 5
separate
> nics in them.  Every NIC in the router is the same, (SMC8013) and
> thus I had ed0, ed1, ed2, etc.  On bootup, I still had to test each
port to
> determine which physical card went to what ed.

One disadvantage of the BSD-type naming convention is that one does
end up putting rl0's, ed0's and the like into config-files or batches,
which have to be changed if the hardware changes, for example a
'/usr/local/sbin/dhcpd dc0' in /etc/rc.local or a 'set device
PPPoE:rl0' in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf, or (the most annoying) if you happen
to have lots of 'via <interface>' statements in your ipfw ruleset.

Greetings,

Michael Nottebrock