Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 2002 00:54:57 +0200
From:      Norbert Augenstein <norbert@augenstein.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        hanspeter_roth@hotmail.com
Subject:   Re: user-mounting FAT

Hi,

set vfs.usermount=1 in sysctl.conf for a constant change

[auge@seth auge]$ cat /etc/sysctl.conf
# $FreeBSD: src/etc/sysctl.conf,v 1.1.2.2 2001/12/19 17:52:17
ru Exp $#
#  This file is read when going to multi-user and its contents piped
thru#  ``sysctl'' to adjust kernel values.  ``man 5 sysctl.conf'' for
details.#
vfs.usermount=1

[auge@seth auge]$ sysctl vfs.usermount
vfs.usermount: 1
[auge@seth auge]$

you can mount on every directory you are the owner of.
check permissions for read/write of it and ALSO in /dev , the
user must have rw permission to the device to mount

[auge@seth auge]$ egrep /mnt/win2k /etc/fstab
/dev/ad0s1             /mnt/win2k      msdos   rw,noauto       0       0

[auge@seth auge]$ ls -l /dev |grep ad0s1
crw-rw----   2 root  operator  116, 0x00020002 May  5 10:28 ad0s1
...snip...

[auge@seth auge]$ id
uid=666(auge) gid=0(wheel) groups=0(wheel), 5(operator),
69(network)

auge

if you do not want usermount after reboot, use sysctl command:
[auge@seth auge]$ sysctl vfs.usermount=1