Date:      Thu, 4 Jun 1998 01:18:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        mph@pobox.com (Matthew Hunt)
Cc:        darknight@biosys.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installation problem...

Matthew Hunt wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 03, 1998 at 09:02:57PM -0700, DarKnight wrote:
>
> > after i setup my hardware configuration and save it, it's supposted to
> > begin to boot, probing for hardware etc right? well, mine just freezes
> > with a cursor at the top of the screen, any help would be GREATLY
> > appreciated, thanks.
>
> Be sure that you aren't deleting "sc0" during the hardware
> configuration.  This device is the system console, and if you get
> rid of it, FreeBSD obligingly stops using your keyboard and
> video card in favor of a serial console.

First on the list of any change to sysinstall help screens ought
to be mention of this. We're getting 3 or 4 "help me"s on this a week,
and who knows how many people just throw up their hands and go back
to their previous life of shame, having falsely concluded that the
installation is hopeless.

I did it the first time -- I falsely figured "system console" was
some driver for the /serial console/ (sc suggests "serial console",
too), particularly since it conflicts with a mouse. (Bogus thinking,
I admit.)  Well, more careful examination clued me in, but I suffer
from monomaniacal levels of persistence with these things.

Dave
--
        DISCLAIMER: If it can be disclaimed, it is.
	DISCLAIMER: In particular, I don't represent any organization.