Date:      Sat, 21 Oct 1995 19:45:07 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.0-951020-SNAP - 2.1 *Release Candidate*

The following comments apply to the 951005 shap, hopefully Jordan
knows whether or not they also apply to the latest one (which I won't
be able to get until late next week).

INSTALL PROGRAM
===============
  * a note should be added to point out that one can mount existing
    filesystems using the "Partition" and "Label" menus. It works nicely
    (once you know how to do it...)

  * a WARNING message should appear when newfs is enabled on a
    partition (it happened to me that, after changing the mountpoint
    twice, the "newfs" flag turned on: luckily I realized that before
    it was too late!);

  * is it possible to define an existing partition as "SWAP" ?
    I couldn't figure out how to do this, except by deleting and then
    recreating the partition (but then I am not sure that you can
    guarantee that the partition is in the same place as before).

  * before exiting, the "Configure" menu tells you that it is going
    to invoke the editor on "/etc/exports", but an error message
    appeared, something like
        "ee: exited on signal ..."
    (disappeared too quickly to read it all!) and the system rebooted.

RUNNING THE SYSTEM
==================
  * fdisk still defaults on the "d" partition (e.g. /dev/rwd0d),
    instead of looking at "/dev/rwd0"
  * fdisk says
        "ioctl: DIOCWLABEL not supported by device"
    While this is the expected behaviour (in Pisa they say "lo deve
    fare"), the message gives the user an unpleasant feeling that
    something went wrong.  I would rather change the message in
    something like
        "ioctl: Warning: DIOCWLABEL not required for device"
    (I think this is already fixed in -current).

KERNEL SOURCES
==============
  * in sys/i386/conf, LINT and files.i386 include the entries
    for many devices (ATAPI, "asc" etc.), while the corresponding
    files are not present in the kernel source distribution. If there
    are reasons not to include them in the "standard" distribution,
    how about including a snapshot of the -current kernel sources on
    the CDROM ?
    I consider this quite important.
    BTW: users which install from an ATAPI cdrom, find themselves with
    unaccessible CD once the installation is complete!

        Thanks
        Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522