Date:      Fri, 14 Dec 2001 19:51:05 +0100
From:      Jan Atle Ramsli <trollet@skynet.be>
To:        freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Status?

Hello, I just joined the list.
Here is what I got:
My SPARC-64 is a Xmas present from my wife, and has not yet been fired
up (keyboard cable coming tomorrow).
Here is who I am: Norwegian programmer born in 1959.
I learned programming on an ND-10 running SinTran - don't worry if that
means nothing to you, it was a Norwegian supermini.
One of my first 'real computers' was a CompuPro-286 (+68k,8085/86,..)
and another S-100 based machine. My first 'real OS' after Concurrent was
SCO Xenix-286.
I have never programmed a 64-bit processor, let alone a SPARC.

I seem to understand that sizeof(int) != sizeof(int*) ?
That will be interesting!

What development system should I use?
I am most tempted to use Solaris, but if I will have less of a hazzle
with NetBSD or even Linux, I hope you can tell me.

One of my brain-babies that I cherish:

I have looked through the Linux IDE-CD stuff, and I was horrified.

I do not see the CDROM as 'stereo equipment' - I see it as a 'tape
drive' - that is the way it is built.

So, I would like to use a CD/R-RW this way

tar cvf /dev/cdr0 /diddelidir

like a tape drive ... and let all that 'volume control'-related stuff be
handled thorough a generic IDE device.

So, depending on where we are, I may want to fiddle with that ... where
would I start?
And: Is the project still alive, seems like the website has been asleep
for a while ...?

Atle